Magazine Cover Review

 

This week we read magazines we analyzed every detail and aspect of them down to the colors, and even subtle details on the cover page. Our first magazine was Oprah’s and we noticed it being her fall edition we noted the fall/autumn themed colors in the contrasting green grass that made everything pop. We also discussed how she had made her switch from being a tv star and just show host to now being a more spiritual advisor for people struggling with issues in their day to day lives, which was always the main idea of her featured articles.

Another Magazine pointed towards women and the empowerment of women was Cosmopolitan. Cosmo polytan in my opinion was just all about doing too much it seemed so overly sexy and feminine I cannot imagine someone relating to it. Which brings me to what Scherer mentioned saying that magazines have become so colorful and bombastic, "They have reduced the amount of text and increased the pictures boxes, and captions" (Sherer, 2002). Its no longer about the long droning articles, now you can travel instantaneously around the globe, and you don't need these long stories to get up to speed." (Sherer, 2002). Another similar editorial to Cosmopolitan was Vogue. Vogue was my personal favorite for the fashion sense and pretty good photography. Rolling Stone as well had some decent photography, but their long droning articles made me immediately lose interested as would almost all people my age. Overall, though, Vogue was the most interesting because it catered to my interests such as fashion and photography.

My least favorite magazine out of everything was Better Homes & Garden, this was the absolute most boring magazine ever and is most likely why no one prefers to read as magazine. When I imagine seeing a copy of Better Homes & Garden makes me feel like I am at the dentist waiting hours and hours to be called while I mindlessly flip through the boring never-ending pages of this home décor magazine. 

I now have made my decision on the other hand, where I am choosing to make a magazine for my project. I know I did nothing but bash magazines, but I will plan take inspiration from FRUiTS magazine, a Japanese fashion magazine that’s extremely flamboyant and colorful with the very vintage old very barbie-like fashion including the streets and casual attire of Tokyo and Shibuya. I will use my own fashion Brand “Hidden Spectrum” and my own clothes I made to actually use as an advertisement for my Instagram and website which I hope will receive attention after making my very own magazine that others can read without feeling like falling asleep on an airplane.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Review

Post Production 2 - Page 1 Production

Masthead