To Team, or Not to Team?
This week was our judgement week
for whether we choose to work in teams. We went through numerous activities that
really highlighted to me how teamwork should be scoped out before a project. We
analyzed the social media of potential partners but since I was not fully set
on working with a partner, so I chose a random classmate. Then we did a lost at
sea activity that was intended to give us an insight to how we worked in
groups.
When going
through a random classmates social media I was paired with Sonja whose Instagram
I analyzed. Sonja’s page was heavily flooded with spiritual images of
awakenings of the third eye and the managing of stress on our bodies. She also
showed a keen interest in anime a type of Japanese cartoon with mainly being of
the action and horror genre. Her Instagram was very different from what I had
expected but, in all honesty, I feel like I had not gained much knowledge on
her as a teammate and instead learned just simple facts about her.
During
the lost at sea activity, we were tasked with ranking the importance of items
we would have with us if we were stranded in the middle of the ocean while waiting
for help. At first, we worked alone and made our own list where we chose the importance
of the items 1 through 15. After we finished were paired into groups of 4 where
we compared our answers. I saw many of us had decently similar answers nothing
differed from one another too much. But then we were set to make another list,
this time with the help of each other. After this, we were given a coast guard list
that ranked the items, and we were supposed to compare the three lists and see
which were the most like the professional answer. Overall, the list made with a
team was the most similar and proved to be effective which was a huge learning
point for me.
All in
all, I do see the importance of teamwork and how multiple opinions can push an
idea to its best form. As stated by Eli Becker, teamwork shows us we “can work
together to build a more effective team and achieve sustainable results.”
(Becker, 2015). But I still feel I should work alone when it comes to my
magazine, I feel like if I work with a partner or multiple people ill either
end up settling for less or becoming a control freak and ruining the experience
for those around me. I don’t want to take the time to analyze every persons personality
types when I’m more than confident in myself to lead and carry this project to
my desired end goal. “Certain types make natural leaders while others are more
comfortable as followers. Certain personality types are natural communicators
while others find it very difficult to express themselves.” (Bradley, 1997). M
magazine will be fully written and photographed by me and will include picture
of the clothing I’ve made this seems like the most effective step in the right direction
and I hope I can begin production soon.
Comments
Post a Comment